Pages

Friday, September 30, 2016

Why I need Newfoundland and Labrador Public Libraries in 250 words

Proud library card holder for as long as I can remember.
I recently filled out the survey located at the bottom of this page about the library system review. I was given 250 words to make a statement about the importance of libraries and this is what I said:

My local library is important to my community because it provides a space where intergeneration learning happens and knowledge is shared. It is a place where a senior can learn to use a computer, type, send email, and how to open the internet browser.  The library is also a place where children learn to read and experience the joy of learning for the first time. It is a place where local events are held – lectures, meetings, clubs, etc. It is where people may learn to knit (physically though a knitting circle, electronically when accessing the internet, or through the “old-school” way of reading a book). It is where I learned to read. I went to the library every week growing up. Every summer I would sign up to read X number of books each year trying to beat the number from the previous summer. It is where I first experienced Harry Potter which instilled a love of reading, an interest in the fantastical and taught me many life lessons.

The library is where I grew up. I knew the librarians by name and they watched me grow and develop my intellect. They helped me choose books and learn about new topics.

While I continue to use the library today – renting books, dvds and attending events – I don’t need the library for me. I need the library for the children of tomorrow and the seniors of today. I need the library because everyone should have the opportunity to learn, and grow.


I highly encourage everyone go to the link, or the public consultation sessions to give your input on the importance of libraries across the province.  Libraries are not just important to communities but they create communities. They create a space for learning and sharing information and ideas that is necessary in this province. We should be funding more libraries not closing them down. We should be created more programs not cutting jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment